Friday, October 31, 2008

Obama & Callcenters


I am scared. US elections is coming. And Obama is on top of the polls. Almost all (or probably all except Elisabeth Hasselbeck) hollywood celebrities endorse him.

Part of Obama's platform is to eliminate callcenters, BPO's, & shared services for US companies. This is the main 'logical' reason why I am against him. The second reason would be that he scares me again because he looks like a terrorist. This is illogical to me because even before any suspicions about his terrorist connections came out I already thought he 'might' be a terrorist ('coz he 'looks' like one, like the La Salle basket players now, hehe!). The third not-so-logical reason is that he looks to me like a Filipino politician. You know, too much charisma but nothing inside.

Anyways, going back to the topic, I am grim when I imagine what will happen to the country when callcenters & BPO's disappear (or even stop growing). Just imagine the days when you graduate & you can't find a job & if you're lucky to get one, it's minimum wage. Imagine how the Philippines have gone w/ callcenters. I heard from friends working on callcenters that they really hire non-college grads. It's like we're in a first-world country, you know, graduating is not anymore a necessity. And how fast they get promoted! In one year they can become the head of a callcenter site! Most of my friends who work on callcenters are the ones who usually cut classes in college, get suspended, & yet, in a couple of years, they are managers earning huge salaries!

How does retaining these jobs really benefit the US? I mean, we all know how choosy Americans are w/ jobs! Hahahaha! Would they even bother working on callcenters & other routinary jobs?

Anyways, I still hope for the best. Else, I might as well migrate...

3 comments: